Monday, November 26, 2012

4 Down 8 to go!

I just wanted to send out a quick update after my first month on the Trial.  I have had 4 weekly infusions and so far all the results are positive.  I have 4 more weekly infusions and then 4 months of monthly infusions.  So if all goes according to plan, I will be done in April. 

So far the only real issues have been the length of the infusions.  They take between 5-7 hours so it winds up being a very long day.  I have not had any infusion reactions, which are pretty common with this drug.  I have also not had any post infusion reactions with the exception of being a little tired for a day or so.  I did wind up getting a cold after week 2 and I am just now getting back to normal.  I don’t know whether it was lengthened because I was in treatment, because I have a compromised immune system, or because it was just a really bad cold.  I did start preventative antibiotics just to protect myself from a more serious infection.

I did have a 4 week check by the doctor and he commented that all my blood numbers are moving in the right direction, and my nodes and spleen have shrunk.  He did mention that the most dramatic results will be in the first 8 weeks, and after that we will probably not see much movement.

All in all it has been a boring first month, so let’s hope the remainder of the treatment goes as smoothly.
Terry

No comments: